Friday, April 2, 2010

Recent Knitting Knews (news).

2 weeks ago, I became an aunt again.  My sister gave birth to #3, a girl!  Let's call her Baby S.  Being a knitter, when we learned the news that my sis was expecting, I started the search for the perfect baby sweater.  My sister has boy J and girl A already and they decided not to find out the gender ahead of time, very difficult for a knitter!  My first thought was to go with the ultimate baby sweater, the Baby Surprise Jacket. Rav link.  I've knit this sweater a few times already and the construction still amazes me.  I do, however, have yet to knit it with stripes and I wanted stripes.  After a day spent at my LYS, I happened upon the softest cotton blend yarn.  Ella Rae Baby Cotton, I was drawn to 3 colors, cream, mushroom and breeze.  Breeze is a baby blue and that was a gamble but girls can wear blue, boys wearing pink?  Maybe not.  Next, find a pattern as I wasn't feeling it for the BSJ this time, I found this pattern.  Love this!  One issue, pattern is written for worsted weight and I had a dk weight.  Did some math and voila!
  Check out these buttons!

They say "little lamb" so cute!  I picked up a set in pink and one in blue.  I also continued the stripes throughout, as you can see.  This yarn is so soft, it was a dream to knit with, other than needing a few breaks to save my wrists.  Of course, being a baby lover and knitter, I couldn't stop here, the day after Baby S was born, she needed a hat! Rav link
Then the opportunity to test knit a baby sweater arose in the Free Pattern Testers forum on Ravelry.  I was fortunate to be assigned the 3 month size and after stash diving, chose to knit in Knit Picks Andean Silk Twist.  Rav link.
So that's what I've been knitting.  I started crocheting slippers yesterday, 1 down, 1 to go, pics to come.  Also, my Ravelry friend Elizabeth and I are doing a KAL (knit along) with the Teal Leaves Cardigan.  Cast on last night, the yarn I received through a Rav destash.  Loving it. Pictures to come. 

Happy Knitting and Happy Easter!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment