Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sometimes it's ok to be a little sneaky.

When making dinner, that is.  The weather has gone from 70 degrees F to the 40's - 50's F.  Brrrrrrrr.  My menu list included Tomato Bisque Soup, recipe found here, so yesterday I thought it would make the perfect dinner.  Now the sneaky part, there is butternut squash in this soup.  At least half of our four person family would not have touched this soup had they known.  I know this isn't a new concept and I've made several recipes from Deceptively Delicious and was called out a few times for slipping in a little something extra but not this time!  Sure the kids were home while I baked the squash and yes, they were running around while I pureed it but still, no one was the wiser.  Everyone enjoyed the soup and the recipe will be added to our list of favorites and still, not a one knows the secret.  Yes, I do love being sneaky now and then! 
Leftover bowl for lunch!

In addition to the soup, I pulled out my handy copy of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  Is this book great, or what?!  I own the second edition as well, thanks to my brother and his lovely wife.  Anyway, I wanted to try a new to us recipe from the book and decided on the European Peasant Bread recipe.  Similar to the original only this includes a little whole wheat flour as well as a little rye flour along with the unbleached flour.  It was great!  3 more loaves worth of dough left in the fridge, well, until tonight anyway.  Here's a few pics of the progress of my dough. 
  Just mixed and placed in my Artisan dough bowl (as named by me)!
After nearly 2 hours of rising.

Fresh out of the oven.  Mmmmm.

Tonight we'll be feasting on Pork Tenderloin with fennel and red peppers.  I'll fill you in on that later. 
Hopefully the sun will be out again soon as I have knits and knits in progress to share but not very good lighting.  

Until Next time,
Julie

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we enjoyed the Peasant Bread too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd highly recommend the soup too!

    ReplyDelete