Tuesday, June 8, 2010

School's out for Summer!

How does this sneak up so quickly?  Seems every year goes by faster and faster.  Oldest boy finished school yesterday and the little guy had just a half day today.  The weather is less than summer like, currently in the 50's and rainy.  Oh well.  So what better to do on the morning when your son has 3.75 hours of school but to finally make a gift for his teacher?!?!  I'm sure I'm not the only one, right? 
Preparations actually started last night, I decided a loaf of my favorite banana bread would be a worthy gift for all this teacher has done this year.  The fave recipe is from the book  A Homemade LifeBanana Bread with Chocolate and Crystallized Ginger, yum, the house still smells of the bread.  Anyway, last night I peeled and sliced ginger, covered it with water and cooked until tender.  Then drained, weighed the ginger, added it back to the pan along with the same weight of sugar and a little water.  After boiling down til little liquid was left, I had crystallized ginger.  Yummy alone, even better in this bread.  This morning I mixed up the recipe and popped it into the oven.  The bread finished baking just as we left for school.  Perfect.  With the little guy away, the oldest and I enjoyed some French toast for breakfast.  A goal for summer is to have the oldest help/shadow at least one meal per week as it's prepared.  That didn't start today.
Oh yes, back to the teacher gift.  I've been wanting to transition the household to cloth napkins and wanted to use the pattern in Heather Ross book Weekend Sewing.  I found 2 cuts of fabric in my stash and went about sewing 4 double sided napkins for the teacher.  Again, rainy and gloomy outdoors so I apologize for the photos. 
Close up:

Wrapped: (bread was wrapped in wax paper first)
and little man with his teacher after school.  He wanted his hair buzzed for the summer so we did that yesterday.  So glad he has such a nice shaped noggin!
Now we're watching SpongeBob, the oldest is hanging out with a friend, they just stopped for his library card so I can trust they are staying out of trouble.  Here's to the start of a great Summer!

Happy Making,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment