Friday, October 22, 2010

A Week of Sweaters - Days 4 and 5

We'll make this one a two-fer as I didn't get the other posted yesterday. 

First up is Adeline, pattern found here or on Ravelry.  Last Fall, I came across Lucy's project page for her Adeline while perusing Ravelry and at that time she was requesting test knitters before releasing the pattern.  I jumped on that pretty quickly.  Popped over to my then LYS and after hemming and hawing over several yarns, (oranges, tweeds, reds, etc.), I chose a lovely shade of teal in Plymouth Galway.  Now sadly, I didn't take notes or start a project page on Rav for this sweater so I don't have exact cast on/finish dates but I do recall that Lucy was requesting the sweater be complete in 3-4 weeks and I was able to finish in that time.  How?  Little seaming, the body is worked in one piece to the armholes so that made it doable! The most time consuming portion was the collar but it's so worth it.  Photos?

 Love those cables!

Pattern: Adeline by Lucy Sweetland 
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Galway Worsted, 6 skeins or 1260 yards, Ball bands are gone, I think the color is #131.
Needles: US 8
Started: October, 2009
Finished: November, 2009
Mods: None, this was a test knit so pattern was followed.  There is a belt but I like it open so belt is not used.
Thoughts: I love this sweater, I normally wouldn't gravitate toward this color but it sucked me in and I'm so glad it did.  The pattern is perfect, a long sweater with cables and pockets and while it looks like it would be time consuming, it really isn't.  Like others, the increases within the cables are a bother but they are underarm so they remain pretty hidden.  While I enjoyed knitting with this yarn, there were a few skeins with a number of tied ends in them.  A little spit splicing took care of the issue but really, there were so many ends that I probably wouldn't go with this yarn again.  Maybe.....

Sweater 2 for today!
My go to sweater.  The Central Park Hoodie by Heather Lodinsky, originally published in Knitscene Magazine, Fall 2006, now out of print, but available through Interweave Online Store  I have had a crush on this sweater since I first saw it, sadly, the issue of the magazine was out of print and I have a hard time justifying the price of some downloadable patterns.  When a promotional discount was emailed though, I couldn't wait any longer.  While the yarn and pattern did wait for awhile in my queue, this was the project I chose when we rented a lake house in summer of 2009.  The back was finished on vacation and then it sat while birthday and Christmas gifts took priority.  Finally picked it up again after the holidays and whipped through to the finish line!




Pattern: Central Park Hoodie by Heather Lodinsky 
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca, color #6277 Peat, 5.25 skeins or about 1129 yards, purchased at Loops and Links yarn shop.
Needles: US 6 and US 8
Started: July 16, 2009
Finished: March 18, 2010
Mods: None!
Thoughts: I would knit this in every color, I love this sweater.  You may have figured out that I love cables and these are perfect.  The yarn is divine and I will knit with Ultra Alpaca again, in fact, I have a sweater lot in black, just need to decide on a pattern for that.  The buttons were a gift from my in-laws purchased on their trip to Alaska.  I know they are made from antlers but can't recall what animal they came from.  I think they add a nice rustic look to the sweater.  The fit of the sweater is perfect for me and being on the casual side, it fits with my casual style.  This is my favorite sweater knit to date!

Thank you again to my brother for his photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment